International Men’s Day 2023 Discussion – Adaptability & Progression After Leaving the Armed Forces
Date / Time: Thursday, November 16th, 12:00 to 13:00hrs
Overview: Join us for an engaging one-hour discussion in celebration of International Men’s Day 2023. We will delve into the topics of “Adaptability” and “Progression” after transitioning from the Armed Forces to civilian life.
Adaptability: The transition to civilian life often comes with its unique challenges. Our discussion will explore the expectations of the civilian community, acceptance by the community, and the pressures of adapting to a world that can be both challenging and daunting. We will address the complexities of leaving military service and the need to navigate this new terrain.
Progression: Leaving the structured environment of military service can be a significant life change. We will discuss the adaptability of veterans as they enter civilian life and explore the challenges they encounter during this transition. Our aim is to shed light on the preparation provided by military service and how it aids individuals in their journey to where they are today. How do veterans develop and progress toward a more advanced state of well-being?
- Pete Spink:
- Director and Experienced Director
- Armed Forces Veteran (RAF, 23 Years Service)
- Public Speaker and Lecturer in Public Services
- Co-Founder of Space 2 Talk
- Trainer of Mental Health & Wellness
- Armed Forces Mental Health First Aider and Suicide First Aider
- Rose of Northamptonshire Award Winner
After exiting the RAF, Pete moved to Egypt to manage a multinational diving centre. Upon returning to the UK, he worked in the Recruitment Industry and established his recruitment company from 2002 to 2014. From 2014 to 2018, he held various director roles and, in 2018, initiated the launch of Space To Talk CIC, supporting people in the community struggling with Mental Health.
- Rod Stevenson:
- Served as a Para Engineer (1989-1994)
- Owned, Operated, and Expanded Wholesale/Distribution Business for 20 years
- Acquired a Joinery Business and Kitchen/Furniture Manufacturing
- Owned a Small Industrial Complex with Several Units
- Sold the Business as a Going Concern 6 Years Ago
- Worked in the Haulage Industry
- Completed 3 Years of a Psychotherapeutic Counselling Course for Children and Young People (Qualification Pending)
Rod has a diverse background, including various entrepreneurial ventures and experience in the military. He is currently involved with Space 2 Talk CIC and aims to work with Military Veterans in the near future.
- Mark Leek:
- Served in the Reservist with the 1st Battalion Wessex Regiment
- Transferred to 5 Queens as a Gunner
- Worked as a Dog Handler for the Royal Army Veterinary Corp in Germany
- Spent 20 Years in Germany, On and Off with the Armed Forces
- Worked in the US for a Charity
- 2 Years in Canada Driving Trucks
- Started a Veteran’s Support Group in 2019
- Began Working for Amazon in 2021, Supporting the Military Community Within Amazon and Fulfilment Centres
Mark’s journey includes serving in the Armed Forces, working internationally, and now being a valuable part of Amazon, where he supports the military community and has progressed from packing to leading his own department.
- Stuart Ireland:
- 30+ years IT sector experience.
- Military background: British Army’s Royal Corps of Signals.
- Expertise in global voice, data, and cryptographic systems.
- Transitioned to private sector in 2010.
- Joined Networkology in May 2021 as Commercial Manager.
- Now part of Senior Leadership Team overseeing company operations.
- Manages customer accounts and commercial aspects.
- Product knowledge: IP voice, Video Conferencing, Wi-Fi, SIEM solutions.
- Skilled in fast-paced environments and global partnerships.
Stuart’s career reflects his proficiency in fast-paced, high-pressure environments. His skills encompass scoping and delivering Professional Services, and he has collaborated with global partners to provide support across a diverse range of globally recognized hardware solutions and software suites.
More speakers will be confirmed for this thought-provoking discussion. Don’t miss this opportunity to gain insights into the challenges and successes of veterans transitioning to civilian life. Mark your calendars for November 16th and join us in celebrating International Men’s Day 2023.