As part of International Men’s Day, we hosted an insightful talk titled “IMD23; Adaptability & Progression,” bringing together a panel of ex-servicemen who have successfully transitioned from military to civilian life. The discussion, moderated by Pete Spink, Director at Space Talk, delved into the unique challenges and experiences these individuals faced during their transition, offering a candid look into the journey from military service to civilian careers.
The Panellists and Their Stories:
- Pete Spink: Bringing a wealth of experience as an Armed Forces Veteran, Public Speaker, Lecturer, and Co-Founder of Space 2 Talk, Pete Spink is not only a skilled moderator but also an advocate for mental health and wellness. His background includes training in Mental Health & Wellness, being an Armed Forces Mental Health First Aider, a Suicide First Aider, and a recipient of the Rose of Northamptonshire Award.
- Stuart Ireland from Networkology: With nearly 24 years of service in the Royal Signals, Stuart’s transition led him to a successful career in data communications and networking. His story is one of reinvention and the application of military skills in a civilian context.
- Mark Leek from Amazon UK: Growing up as a ‘pads brat’ and later serving as a reservist and gunner, Mark’s diverse experiences across countries and roles, including a civilian dog handler for the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, showcase the adaptability and global perspective he brings to his civilian life.
- Rod Stevenson: Rod’s brief military career was followed by two decades of entrepreneurship. His journey highlights the entrepreneurial spirit that many ex-servicemen carry into their post-military lives.
Key Discussion Points:
- Transition Experiences: Each panellist shared their unique path, shedding light on the diverse ways one can adapt to civilian life.
- Support Systems: The critical role of support systems, including charities and community groups, was emphasized as a cornerstone for a successful transition.
- Career Transition Workshops: The evolution and impact of career transition workshops were discussed, highlighting their role in facilitating smoother transitions for ex-servicemen.
- Challenges of Transition: From accommodation struggles to adapting to civilian work culture, the panellists opened up about the hurdles they faced.
- Mental and Emotional Adaptation: The emotional journey of leaving a structured military life and the importance of family support during this phase were poignant parts of the discussion.
- The Enduring Military Connection: The panellists spoke about their ongoing connection to the military community, illustrating the duality of their identities.
Conclusion: “IMD23; Adaptability & Progression” was more than just a discussion; it was a testament to the resilience, adaptability, and strength of character that ex-servicemen bring to their civilian lives. Their stories are not just narratives of transition but are powerful examples of how skills and experiences from military life can enrich and inform a civilian career.
We invite you to watch the full video of this enlightening discussion. Gain insights into the challenges faced by ex-servicemen and the incredible adaptability they demonstrate in their civilian lives.
Join us in celebrating the journey of these remarkable individuals and learn from their experiences. Their stories are not just theirs but belong to every individual who has ever faced the challenge of adapting to a new world outside the military.